If you’re a business owner, you need to be familiar with mass texting. It is the most economical and simplest way to raise profit. It benefits all kinds of businesses because of the mindblowing Return on Investment that it provides (the numbers are somewhere between 1600-3000%). So for each $1 that you invest in mass texting, you are likely to make as high as a $30 return!
What is a mass text?
Mass texting is also commonly known as sending a text to a large number of subscribers all at once. It is a highly effective method of marketing which uses SMS as a platform to send out promotional text messages and interact with customers. Advanced features of mass texting also allow for group communication and message forwarding, making the process of communication smoother and faster.
How does mass marketing work
To understand how mass texting works, first you need to understand what is a mass text campaign. A mass text campaign involves two components: a mobile shortcode and a keyword. A shortcode is designated i.e. it is unique for each business. Unlike regular numbers, it is a short, 5-6 digit number through which customers receive promotional messages. The second component i.e. a mobile keyword is a single word or phrase sent to the shortcode. It is used to subscribe to the mass text campaign. Unlike shortcodes, keywords are not unique and companies can issue one or multiple keywords through mass texting platforms.
What is a Mass Texting Platform
The software that integrates businesses and consumers through SMS campaigns is a mass texting platform. It makes life easier for businesses by providing them with keywords and shortcodes through which they can send out campaign texts and promotional messages. Since mass texting is permission-based, customers are required to subscribe to the campaign in order to receive promotional texts. One of the best mass texting platforms in the US is ExpressText. It provides its users with a number of advanced features, simple billing, help videos at each process and cost-effective payment options.
30 Impressive Mass Texting Statistics
- Texting is the most common cellphone activity
- 96% of Americans who own smartphones use texting
- Mass texting has a 98% open rate as compared to email which has a 20% open rate and PPC ads which have a 2% open rate
- The response rate of mass text is 45% whereas that of email is only 6%
- On average, people text twice more than they call
- Over 6 BILLION text messages are sent in the US every day
- Over 80% of adults text (which makes mass texting more popular than other digital marketing channels because it is not just limited to millennials)
- On average, people respond within 90 seconds to a second. On the other hand, it takes them 90 minutes to respond to emails
- 55% of regular text message users said that they would prefer SMS over email (Thus, customer support should be shifted to SMS)
- American women text 14% more than men (that’s good news for brands that target women, like Sephora!)
- Only 43% of smartphone users use their mobile phones to call, but 70% of them use it to text
- On average, it only takes 5 seconds to read a text message
- Texting takes up 14% of a user’s cellphone usage time
- 80% of people currently using texting for business purposes
- The three main activities that SMS users do are: make or confirm reservations, book appointments and check order status
- A study in 2012 found that mass texting was the highest rated method of communication for customer satisfaction
- More than ⅓ of business professionals say they can’t go 10 minutes without responding to a text
- Millennials prefer automated text messaging, which is an easier solution for businesses as well
- 79% of businesses believe customers want SMS/text support
- Mass texting costs pennies per text as compared to a marketing call which costs between $6-$20!
- More than 65% of marketers who conduct mass texting believe it’s very effective
- 75% of people would like to have offers sent to them via SMS
- 77% of millennials who use text messaging are likely to have a more positive perception of companies that conduct mass texting
- 44% of consumers would rather receive product updates and promotions via text than any other platform
- More than 70% of employees believe that their organisation should use text message as a form of communication and not reserve it simply for customer communication
- 77% of students believe that colleges should send needful information via mass text
- The USA is responsible for 45% of the whole world’s text message volume
- Phone calls are 10 times slower than text messages
- In business, SMS response rates are 295% higher than those of phone calls
- 667 messages were simultaneously sent by the pupils of an American school in Utah in May 2011. The text of the message called for caution on the roads. (Thus, SMS is one of the most effective forms of communication in time-sensitive situations)
Mass Texting as a communication channel
Mass texting serves as a very useful tool of communication not just for the marketing of products, but also other purposes such as:
B2B refers to business to business communication. Usually, the value chain i.e. manufacturing of the product to selling it is not as direct as a single business selling to its consumers. Bigger corporations like Nike have a number of manufacturers (even sub-manufacturers) and a number of distributors. For this purpose, an effective channel of communication is crucial to ensure a smooth flow of processes between all intermediaries. Businesses can use mass texting to communicate delays in shipment or faulty inventory. They can also use it to inform all departments of a hazard immediately e.g. a fire in one of the factories. A speedy method of communication like SMS is likely to cause minimal damage and allow employees to act in a timely manner.
B2C refers to Business to Consumer communication. B2C Communication is the most widely used form of mass texting as companies use it to market their brand and products to customers. Companies can also send out product updates, conduct surveys and polls, make appointments, send out reminders and greetings and do much more with mass texting. SMS is highly engaging so companies who use this platform are likely to see an increase in revenues in a very short period of time!
Technology has brought down all barriers of communication. Now, consumers can directly sell products and services to others – which also leads to a number of startups. Anyhow, suppose you just graduated from high school and want to sell all your books. You have two options: either you can directly sell them to a friend via SMS or you can integrate SMS with your eBay or Craigslist account by listing your cellphone number online. Interested buyers can simply communicate with you via text and voila, you just made a sale!
Business and employees
As mentioned in the statistics, mass texting has so many uses that it should not only be limited to customer communication. It is still a highly underutilised channel of marketing and businesses need to take advantage of that. Communication with employees via text is not only more affordable but it is much faster than phone calls. In emergency situations, timely communication makes all the difference. A lot of damage can be avoided if employees get information faster. Suppose there is a security breach in a company, the sooner employees relevant to that department are informed, the quicker they can take action. Phone calls can prove to be effective when the situation requires informing only a small number of people – but mass texting is most effective when communicating with a large workforce. SMS is also informal so employees can use it as a platform to discuss work as well as their personal life. They can coordinate working hours with other employees, discuss team projects, plan work events and talk about non-work related things. ExpressText offers the feature of a group chat which companies can offer to their employees – especially those who work together in cross departments so as to improve communication among them. This ensures a better chance of reaching the predicted goal and can also be used as a form of fringe benefit to allow employees a platform to communicate with one another which is private and yet, funded by the company.
What does mass text cost?
We know the price of one text and how much return it can earn. But what does SMS cost in bulk? ExpressText is one of the most affordable mass texting platforms in the US. It provides multiple payment options suited to its consumers. The most popular package is the advanced one which comes at $99 for 3000 messages and 2 keywords. There are 4 main packages which offer 600 up to 6000 messages, depending upon the package that you choose. Businesses can pick one based on their clientele. A small cafe owner is likely to need a maximum of 1500 messages so he/she can opt for the starter package. ExpressText puts its users at ease by offering them a free 30-day trial. Moreover, for those users that do not require the platform’s services on a frequent basis, there is also a Pay as you go option. This option allows them to pay per text and not incur monthly fees. Apart from all these, ExpressText also offers packages for extra heavy usage. These also come in 4 sizes, with messages ranging from 17,500 up to 100,000. They are most suitable for multinational corporations that have an extensive product portfolio and target the masses. These packages are also suitable for government agencies that need to communicate messages nationwide. The most expensive package costs $1500 only, which goes to show just how inexpensive mass texting is.
Do you need mass text?
As already established, mass texting can be used for a variety of purposes so if you’re a business owner or employee, its likely that you do need mass text. The use of mass texting is very popular in the following industries:
- Restaurant Marketing
- Bank Marketing
- Retail Marketing
- School/College Marketing
- Government Organisations
- Non-Profit Government Organisations
- Salon Marketing
- Cafe Marketing
- Clinic Marketing
- Wallet apps
- Nightclub Marketing
- Email Marketing
That’s a pretty long list, and it has a number of subcategories. What can we conclude from this? Mass texting can be used practically anywhere! And in all categories, it is the most effective way of getting the message across. Its popular business use also owes to the fact that it is extremely affordable and easy to use so it is easily accessible to anyone. Moreover, it has the support of customers as well. People are addicted to their phones so marketers do not have to make so much of an effort to get them to view their messages. Users check their phones on an average of 150 times a day, so they won’t miss out on anything you send them via text!
What are you waiting for then? Sign up with ExpressText now to make your business more profitable!